How does a strong massage feel when you’re in pain? There are many benefits of deep tissue massage for people in pain or stress. Whether you’re physically active like a bodybuilder or an athlete; or have a desk job for long hours, there are many benefits of deep muscle massage therapy for health. You can even consider it if you’re simply overweight as deep muscle massage therapy benefits in weight loss too.
Deep tissue massage involves going deep into the layers of your muscles and tissues to break knots, adhesion and scar tissues. It heals pain, stiffness, injuries and fatigue. If you’re thinking of trying it out, let me tell you that you will love the experience if you take it when you’re really tired.
When you go to a therapist, he or she will use fingertips, knuckles, forearms and elbows to focus on the areas that require treatment. This shows the level of intensity you can go to when you get a deep tissue massage done.
There are electrical as well as non-electrical massage tools available in the market for deep tissue massage. The electrical devices come with features like auto shut off, heat, adjustable intensity, interchangeable massage heads and portability. You can check out TheraFlow Handheld Deep Tissue Percussion Massager if you are comfortable with electric massage devices. The non-electrical tools are also simple to use. They have nodes which can break muscle knots on little application of pressure.
No matter what method you choose, deep tissue massage in the end shall make you feel relaxed and light. When the body gets relief from pain, stiffness and fatigue, the feeling brings peace to mind. It increases the level of Oxytocin hormones which make you feel happy.
If you choose do it on a regular basis, say every month, it keeps you fit. Though massage is treated as a luxurious activity, sometimes it becomes essential to get it done too. Patients suffering from severe muscle problems, desk workers having incorrect postures at work, sportsmen and people going through stress need it as a therapy.
Let’s see how deep tissue massage helps here.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
»» What Are the Benefits of a Deep Tissue Massage?
There are 10 main benefits of deep tissue massage for health:
- Treats Muscle Pain: Deep tissue massage involves a lot of force. Whether you have a muscle pull or a serious problem in your back due to incorrect postures, this therapy will infuse blood flow into the muscles, loosen them and thereby release pain and stiffness. There are special benefits of deep tissue massage for athletes. When normally pressing feet can also give pain relief so easily, imagine what a strong massage for 10 minutes would do!
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Massage tends to relax the body. As you release stress from the muscles, your body will reduce the level of stress hormones. This makes your body and mind relaxed. Due to the rest it receives, the blood pressure tends to go down. If you have a problem of high blood pressure, this is an excellent remedy for you.
- Makes You More Flexible: Stiffness is caused due to the formation of tight knots on your muscles. Deep tissue massage involves application of pressure on these knots till they break down. In the process, your muscles will stretch and loosen up a bit, increasing mobility and flexibility. If you like working out, there are many benefits of deep tissue massage for body builders.
- Heals Injuries: You don’t massage on a bruise or blood clot. However, if you’ve hurt yourself in a way that has strained your muscles or led to cramps, this is the right type of massage for you. Also, if you are recovering from an injury, this massage can prevent the formation of scars. This is because when you apply pressure on the injured area, the scar tissues deep within will break down before they are visible.
- Cures Serious Problems: Deep tissue massage is known to cure arthritis, sciatica, piriformis syndrome, tennis elbow and fibrillation. It has proved to be a better remedy over medication even. A lot of doctors suggest massage therapy over strong medicines for such severe problems.
- Detoxifies the Body: As you press hard on the muscle knots to break them, the toxins trapped within are released into the blood. Fresh, oxygenated blood rushes through the area as a knot has just broken and created space. The flow of fresh blood and some in take of water will flush out the toxins released in the body. So, if you feel like going to the loo in the middle of a massage, you’ll know it’s working !
- Reduces Stress: Any massage will actually trigger hormonal changes in the body. This being a strong one has a greater impact. The stress hormones reduce as the body feels deeply relaxed. At the same time, the level of oxytocin rises, making you feel happier.
- Reduces Stress: Any massage will actually trigger hormonal changes in the body. This being a strong one has a greater impact. The stress hormones reduce as the body feels deeply relaxed.
- Promotes Sleep: What happens when you try to sleep at night ? The reason why you can’t sleep is because something or the other is going on in your mind. Once your stress level goes down, your mind is at peace which automatically puts you to sleep.
- Cheers You Up: As stress hormones go down in the body, the level of oxytocin rises, making you feel happier. With the intense relaxation you get, you’ll be smiling and glowing after a massage.
Deep tissue massage is good for you if you’re facing muscle problems or like strong massages for relaxation.
If you find a spa very expensive or feel that a therapist’s hands can hurt, you can look for a self-massage device too. There are several massage tools and devices for deep tissue massage available in the market. They usually provide the same benefit as a therapist but without hurting too much.
If you are pregnant, have gone through surgery, had any injury or have gone through chemotherapy recently, you need to seek advice from your doctor before taking such strong treatments.
Overdose can lead to soreness of muscles, inflammation and bruises due to the strength of the massage. You must make sure not take strength that your body can’t take.
»» How Do You Decide If You Need Deep Tissue Massage?
When body pain reaches a level that merely pressing the muscles does not help, you know you need a strong massage. Consider the following when you go for it:
- The only problem you’re going through is body pain, stiffness, stress or fatigue. If there is any disease, wound, fever or other problems you’re going through, don’t think about going for it.
- If you have skin problems like rashes or boils, do not get a massage done.
- The only kind of injury on which deep tissue massage is done is one which has damaged tissues or muscles but not led to any internal blood clots. Let your doctor decide for you whether you need massage therapy now or at the healing stage later on.
- If you’re overweight, probably a strong massage will be more relaxing on you as your body can take the pressure. If there isn’t any serious problem due to obesity, it is safe for you.
To conclude, deep tissue massage can actually be relaxing for anyone who’s fit according to the given guidelines. Since it intensely works upon your muscles, you will feel hormonal changes as stress levels start reducing.
We have answered a few related questions you possibly have in your mind right now. If we missed out on anything, feel free to ask in the comments section. We will be pleased to serve you.
»» Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why do deep tissue massages hurt?
A. If you are getting a deep tissue massage from a therapist, it will definitely hurt a bit This is because it involves the use of elbows, forearms and knuckles to give strong massage. As knots and adhesion break down, it will release some pain. However, this application of pressure may lead to some bad pain too. Always talk to your therapist when you feel pain during massage.
If you’re using an electrical massage tool, the chances of feeling pain are way lesser.
2. What should you do after a massage?
A. It is healthy to do the following after a massage:
- Drink water: This enhances the process of detoxification in the body and also keeps you hydrated.
- Eat something: Eat some healthy food after you get a massage. It will boost your immune system and energize you a bit.
- Get a bath: A warm shower or a tub filled with bath salts and warm water will relax you even more after your massage.
- Relax for some more time: Listen to soft music or just be with yourself to feel and seep in the effects of massage.
3. How often should you get deep tissue massage?
A. This varies from person to person:
- If you’re into hard core physical activity: 1-2 times a week
- If you’re in stress or pain: Once in 1-2 weeks
- If you like it to relax: 1-2 times a month
4. What’s good to eat after a massage?
A. You should eat light and healthy after a massage. Intake of more vitamins and minerals will be good for your bones, muscles and blood. Your body also needs more energy after a deep tissue massage since a lot of muscles have been worked upon. Some of these foods are good to eat after massage:
- Broccoli: Rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Phosphorous and Zinc.
- Bananas: Rich in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Manganese, Potassium, Glucose and Dietary Fiber.
- Blueberries: Rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K. Fiber, Manganese and Anti-oxidants.
- Dark Chocolates: Rich in Iron, Magnesium, Copper, Manganese, Potassium, Zinc, Phosphorous, Selenium, Fiber and Anti-oxidants.
- Salmon: Rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Protein, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B9, Vitamin B12, Potassium, Selenium and Anti-oxidants.
5. Is it okay to take a bath after a massage?
A. Yes, it is great to take a bath after massage. A bath makes you absorb water through the skin which hydrates the body. You always feel fresh and relaxed when you take a bath. Bath salts or few drops of essential oil immersed in warm water is better for relaxing you further after a strong massage. it calms down the nervous system, reducing stress levels. Moreover, a bath can regulate body temperature, balance the level of hormones in the body, oxygenate and detoxify blood, benefit bones, muscles and joints and help you breathe better. So, in a way, a bath minimizes the side effects of a deep tissue massage.
6. What happens if you don’t drink water after a massage?
A. Deep tissue massage might lead to soreness of muscles or inflammation due to the pressure applied. Water hydrates the system, cools it down and flushes toxins. Massage warms up the system and enhances blood flow. When muscle knots are broken by a deep tissue massage, the toxins trapped within are released into the blood. These toxins are then flushed out of the body with the help of water. So, in order to avoid soreness or inflammation in the muscles and enhance detoxification, drinking water is a must.
7. Why am I so tired after a massage?
A. Since the massage is so strong and focused upon specific areas, it can be tiring. Massage is truly a form of treatment. As treatment takes place, your body starts working upon the problem areas. This will make you feel sleepy or want to relax more.
8. Is it OK to get a massage 2 days in a row?
A. For a deep tissue massage, it is not recommended to get it done 2 days in a row. Since a lot of force is applied on the body, overdoing it can lead to bruises, swelling or inflammation. Depending on your needs and activities, your doctor can advise you to get deep tissue massage therapy. Professional advice is always recommended for better treatment.
9. Can a deep tissue massage help you lose weight?
A. Yes, deep tissue massage benefits in weight loss It burns calories, breaks down fat and releases toxins from the body, leading to a healthier you.